Monday 8 April 2024

Nyatria, around Nyatria


This is more of the heart of the hard-put Hungarian Kingdom in the 17th century, the source of wealth that sustained the "wall" against the Turks that protected Europe.  For me, thankfully this is the last of intense infrastructure mapping; I adore the way these towns overwhelm the gaze, but it's tons of extra work where mapmaking is concerned.  I yearn for a large, flat, uninhabited landscape ... though when I get there, it'll probably be two hundred lakes that I'll hate.

Nyatria, also Nitra, is an important ecclesiastical centre, but in my game not a trade hub.  Obviously, there's a market there, as the city has more than 10,000 people, but the balance of importance is towards maintenance of the Catholic church and the bureaucracy.  Primarily, all these type-1 hexes are structured towards an intense cottage industry culture, churning out great amounts of foodstuffs, textiles, ceramics and wooden articles of every kind.  And arms and armour, too, for use along the frontier, not for sale.  Military garrisons proliferate throughout the region.

I'm coming up on the corner to turn steadily east, so to make the map round out, I'll be making sections that are just 2/3rds as large as these being lately done.  That will get us up into Poland, whereupon the maps will march out towards Kiyev.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.