Friday, 31 July 2026

Volhynia-Rowno, around Luck

 

This is a pretty big section done at a go; pretty much all that's in the top nine hex rows and east of the river in the upper left hand corner. That includes most of both Volhynia and Rowno. In Earth terms, this is the upper northeast corner of Ukraine, with swamps starting to show up along the northern fringe... the preamble of the Pripyet Marsh, which begins above what's mapped.

The marsh is a guess; I have it on good information that the Russians drained most of this southern marsh early in the 20th century, and efforts were made before that, so GoogleEarth doesn't show marsh where these are. I mostly went on "if it looked empty and might have been a marsh once, we'll call it a marsh in 1650. It's good enough... makes an interesting landscape, nice for players wanting to wander around through close-by wilderness full of temperate marsh-creatures.

My offline party generated a henchman that randomly turned out to be nobility, and after some random rolls, was identified as the deposed Grand Duke of Volhynia, despite being just 19 years of age. The party collected a group of low-level hench and headed off for the region; they spent a session discovering the region, getting a lay of the land, meeting a few sorts who would help against the usurper — and then, somehow, we just never managed to run this side adventure again. There was always something else and everyone at that time thought we'd play forever... so I'm a bit maudlin about it. Nice to have a more detailed map of the area, even though I'll never get to play out that set-up.  At least, not here, and not until another player maybe rolls up a noble.

As of now, I'm about 20 months behind where I mapped to the south of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.