Sunday 3 March 2024

Squeezed against the Edge

 


I should have just tacked this on to the end of the last post, which I put up about two hours ago, but I didn't think of it.  The image above shows the rest of the map sheet I'm working on.  Note there are just six hexes between the mapped area and the edge; this translates to being two 20-mile hexes wide.

I've been posting sections that are 9 hexes high and 6 sections wide, which translates to three by two 20-mile hexes.  What I'll have to do with the above is make an area 6 by 6 hexes, and then copy the top two hexes of that onto the next map sheet in order to keep going.  This is easier than doing a 9 by 6 area ... so well do the three 6 by 6 sections first, then continue as I have done before.

This can't possibly matter to anyone but me and a few serious map nerds, but heck, it explains why I'm doing what I'm doing with the next three posts.

Finishing a sheet is always an annoyance, what with the duplication of the edges that has to be done so the maps can be lined up.  I've done so much of this, however, that it's not a big deal.  It just slows me a little.  However, towards the end it feels like I'm being squeezed against the edge of the map.  I obviously prefer to have a big empty map to fill up, then getting towards the end of one.

2 comments:

  1. Serious map nerd here. Thank you for explaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Faced with the prospect of creating a REALLY big map, in this scale, it certainly isn't possible without spreading it over multiple sheets ... and because it's antithetical for those sheets to butt up perfectly with one another, as it then makes it very difficult to work around the edges without constantly having to address the file with the next sheet over, it makes sense to duplicate the edges throughout. A pain, too, but with practice anything becomes ordinary.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.