Monday 19 February 2024

Bosnia-Kilis, from Bihac to Petrovac



Still wading through these backcountry parts of Bosnia, and still we're not done with the country.  Bihac isn't even connected to the rest of the country by road; there's a little cart path (not even ruts) that leads down to the Kozjak river (a dry wash on GoogleEarth, due to the dam northwest of Bihac).  The river wouldn't be navigable, but there would be a footpath along it, to provide the only communication to this part of the Ottoman-controlled region.  But then, Lika, Kilis and Slavonia are all also under Ottoman suzerainty.

The sanjak of Kilis comprises an ancient region that dates back to the Stone Age, called Burnum under the Romans and Knin after the 10th century, when it formed a defensive refuge for the kings of Croatia for 500 years.  There's a long description of the region under wikipedia.  I was calling it Tinin, the Hungarian name for the region, but a recent look into it tells me that the Ottomans called it Kilis.  It also says that at some point the name was changed to Kirka, even Krka, but I don't have a date for that change and I suspect someone's confused the region with the island of Krk in the Asiatic, about 20 miles off the map to the west.  Anyway, I've accepted Kilis for it.

Lika is also a former province of Croatia, falling to the Ottomans after the 1493 Battle of Krbava Field.  Wikipedia rates it as a part of Kilis, Krka or Bosnia, but I've chosen to retain it's 7th century roots.  Both Kilis and Like are extraordinarily unpopulated, so when I come to map either of those, they'll be as empty as the hexes around Bihac, with a dense coastal Dalmatia next door.  Won't be for a while, though.  I'm going to skirt one corner of Lika as I map in a northwesterly direction, but this is all I'll do of Kilis until coming all the way around my complete map.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.