Sunday 22 January 2023

Further Rumelia, around Sizebolu

This completes the Bulgarian coast upon the Black Sea.


This completes the coast of Bulgaria upon the Black Sea.  The clever observer may notice there's something missing from the map above, and there is.  The small town of Burgas was destroyed in the 14th century; a new settlement was built in the 17th, and renamed Burgas, but it doesn't appear here because I've ruled it doesn't exist.  Today this part of the world is somewhat densely populated, as Burgas is one of the most important ports on the Black Sea ... but in my game world, this is a backward area, hardly worthy of notice.  But the wilds of Rumelia depicted above serves as a defense for Constantinople, with is south and east of here.  These are low mountains that have been avoided by armies for thousands of years, dependent upon the small ports that dot the coast.  I haven't figured out what their name is yet; I'll need to address that.

From here I'll be going progressively west.  It's my intention to fill in the gap shown by the green line, in the image below:


I started doing three sections at a time just southwest of Belgrade, in Serbia.  I intend to extend the line out to Sarajevo, then go three more sections westward to even up the line, just as I did in the east.  That should take me well into the Adriatic, and cover a fair bit of the Dalmatian coast (lots of islands), before cutting northwest into Bosnia and then Croatia.

This would seem absurd ambition, if I hadn't just done something like it.  A few months and we'll brush the edge of Slovenia and Austria.  I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.