Friday 6 January 2023

Tahquamenaw Country (Michigan)

Continuing with Discord's ask, I've built a 20-mile hex map without the bells and whistles, from which I can manufacture the 6-mile map.  I've adjusted the time date for the region to start in 900 AD rather than 1050, as the latter is just too late and the populations (in my opinion) are too low.  Here's the 20m map:



Excitin', ain't it?

This region should have a scant population.  It's northerly, densely populated with swamplands and important only for it's connection between Lake Superior (Kitchi-gummi) and Huron (Karegnondi).  Baawitigong is the early Odawa name for the settlement that existed at present-day Sault-Ste. Marie.  The Odawa themselves were famous as "traders," suggesting they hold a position of peaceful interaction with its neighbours, who are more interested in obtaining goods from far away, brought by willing travellers, than in taking over obscure places like the country of Tahquamenaw above.

I took the name from the famous falls and river located in the area.  No knowing what the real name was for it, or even if it had a name.  It's convenient for me to give it a name, however, and this was the best I could obtain.

In any case, I'm in a position now that I can create a 6 mile map around Munising.  I'll take it and the hex immediately to the east and build the map as soon as I'm able.  Then I'll apply the same technique I used for the above to build a map for another reader, Sterling, who has asked for a section of Maine's coastline.

1 comment:

  1. One thing I love about (your) maps is the concentrated blast of foreign names. There is much structure in a language ... meaningful to inhabitants, though usually not to me ... and that gets me thinking on what features of the geography, climate etc. would be also be familiar to them. and how they would perceive those features.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.