Sunday 15 January 2023

South Crimea

I've been so sick, and so frustrated at being sick (I just lay in bed and think about how badly I'd like to be working), that getting better, as I have been since yesterday, gave me motivation to push through that frustration.  As such, I finished the Crimea ... or as much of it as I intend to do this turn around the map.


So very, very glad to have this done.  The mountains are ... weird.  I recommend a look at them with GoogleEarth, as you'll find them interesting.  I couldn't find an easy source saying so, but I'm guessing the last ice age lopped the top off these mountains ... which is why I created a different mountain symbol specifically for their type and shape.

This also puts two sheet maps in the rear view window: L.34e - Crimea and L.37e - Sea of Azov.   Here are those two sheet maps in their entirety:





Much later, I'll come back around to complete the Sea of Azov and the small area of sea in the bottom corner of Crimea.  It may seem strange not to just fill in that part of the Black Sea, but I'll need it to line up later on with the map sheet to the south.  It's devilishly hard to connect sea edges together without some marker, and knowing what I've done on GoogleEarth works as well as anything else.

The next step is to acquaint ourselves with a map sheet that hasn't appeared on this wiki, M.27e - Varna, and undoubtably to make an additional map sheet to the east of that to flesh out the Black Sea.  Here's a GoogleEarth image to show the approximate hole created by the Black that needs to be filled in:


Should be able to move very swiftly through this.  Don't know yet if I'll actually cut across the corner of Turkey (Bithynia) ... if I do, it should be a short job of making that toe hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.