Wednesday 9 November 2022

A Blog for Posting Maps

After working through the month of May, during which time I developed the lower course of the Danube river, the heart of Transylvania and started on the Black Sea coast, I posted this map below on May 31st.  I had been working on the map for 16 weeks:


The size of the map was definitely becoming the biggest problem, since neither publisher nor blogspot were designed to master images this dense.  Still, I persevered, continuing to work through June as well.  The above was expanded and posted on June 30th.


Progressively, of course, the amount that I could produce in a month could hardly make a big difference given the size of the map.  It's evident by comparing the maps that I was making progress, pretty much daily, as I would work on one or more 20x40 mile sections.  Still through July I worked, creating quite a lot by July 31st.  In fact, I managed to add content all the way round the map and a bit more:


For a long time I was getting up in the morning, managing a few details having to do with my job (I'm work from home, doing scheduled writing piece work, so I have full control over when I work most of the time), and then settling in for an hour to make map.  I did it every day.  Still, the process of going round and round felt like it was reaching it's zenith, so I decided to widen my track; I'd continue working in a clockwise circle, but I'd make my path 120 miles wide instead of 40.  This is what I did in August, posting on August 31st:


Alas, it was my last posting.  I put down the map-making in and around August 20th, a bit reluctantly.  Various matters were coming to a head and as September came in, I didn't get back to it.  Now here it's November and I've decided to get back into the swing, as it were.  I don't know if, to start, I'll make map every day, but I'll be posting here if I do ... small bits, with any commentary I care to make about the difficulty a specific area created.  Every once in awhile I'd do a larger section.  I don't know when I'll shove together a full map ... I'll see how much of my time this drains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.