Monday 21 November 2022

Upper Hungary, north of Koszyce

Moving north and slightly east, here's our next section:



I must say, I'm so ready to get away from this straddling two map sheets; the above is a composite from both maps, just as yesterday's was.  Talking about this, I really have no other solution to the problem of producing this detailed a map over such a large area.  As I said, as files, these are very large.  The map sheet on the left, K.21e - Ruthenia, is 20.6 mb, while the other, K.18e - Nyatria, is hardly done and is 8.4 mb already.  These are nothing files for music, but they're pretty unwieldy for this kind of work.

But ... part of my gift as a designer is that I'm ready to patiently work through the inconvenience for as long as it takes.  If it takes an hour to make sure that the left-hand side is the same as the right, then I will.  I like that these line up so nicely, and the precision of it matters to me.  I don't experience crunch like programmer's forced to (I'd quit), but I have often been put in positions where I'm willing to work night and day for a time.  This is what happens if you're working on a film or getting ready for public event, or that section to be published needs fixing in a day.  There are so many details, avoiding crunch on a short scale is pretty much impossible ... which is very different from a company just fucking with it's employees by imposing an arbitrary deadline months in the future, without taking realistic expectations into account.  As I say, were I faced with that sort of deadline, I'd quit.  Anyone without self-esteem issues would.

Sorry if that steps on a toe.  If you're a programmer and you're working a crunch, you probably shouldn't be reading this right now; but if you're a programmer and you're any good, you need to think about how to rearrange your life so that you don't depend on heartless pricks for your income.

Anyway, that's a departure having nothing to do with maps.  Here's today's finished map, pulled back to give perspective:


Before wrapping this up, let me explain the notation on the sheet maps.  "K" means the sheet is the 11th circle from the most northerly edge of the game world (beyond which is the wasteland of the Arctic).  "18e" means the 18th meridian east of Greenwich.  I tag the map according to the hex in the left uppermost 20-mile hex that appears on the map.  On the left hand side of the map above, this is a hex in Poland, in the Duchy of Piast, part of the Holy Roman Empire.  Thus, I can easily judge where the sheet "K.18e - Nyatria" is by a combination of the given name and the designation.  Because I know the world fairly well, even a very obscure part of the world can still be easily found by following the letter and number.

I'd do another map today, except I've got to see the dentist.

5 comments:

  1. I want to share that I found what's a tremendously helpful resource for me this morning, the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data! (https://www.usgs.gov/centers/eros/science/usgs-eros-archive-digital-elevation-shuttle-radar-topography-mission-srtm-void?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects) I've turned this into contours and colors to give me a very useful understanding of my Sengoku-style Emerald Isle. See a screenshot here http://www.moondogsoftware.com/picture/Screenshot%20from%202022-11-21%2022-12-06.png.
    The grid is 1-mile hexes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Sterling, the screenshot gave me a 404 not found result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, dropped the "s" in "pictures" somehow. http://www.moondogsoftware.com/pictures/Screenshot%20from%202022-11-21%2022-12-06.png

    ReplyDelete
  4. The EU's global surface water research provided a lot of the less significant bodies of water, too. https://global-surface-water.appspot.com/download

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.