Wednesday 30 November 2022

Ternopol Wald, south and around Ternopol

 Yesterday, I posted this area of Ternopol Wald, without completing it:


In order to get past the cut line between two map sheets, I've done all six hexes including Chertkov north.  To start with, here's the first two hexes, with a rough map of the remaining area to be done:



Down at the bottom, we have some new things.  Between Koropets and Peredmistya is an empty type-8 hex with a different pattern than the "forested" colour I've been using.  I've struggled and struggled to find a good representation for this kind of hex.  I think I've finally found one.  Many of the earlier maps have to be adjusted, which I'll do as I move along.

This is an empty steppeland, not arable due to lack of water and poor soil ... something that came up with Shelby on the main blog.  The scattered hills suggest a dry highland, where the water table is so far beneath the surface as to be impractical.  Coincidentally, there's a good reason why this should happen.

The very curled course of the Dniester river is the result of the "Dniester Canyon," with much of it 500 ft. below the plateau above.  This is the river cutting down from the Podolian Upland and into the valley of Bukovina, where the large modern city of Chernivtsi is located.  I've been careful not to create any routes across the river between Nishniv at the top and the trade route on the east, which does not bridge the river in any case.

I know I haven't published the map in relation to those on the west and south.  This is done below.  For the moment, here's a rough map of the remaining four hexes to be done, or two sections:


Virtually all of this area is steppe.  This begs the question, if I'm using progressively darker green colours for less developed hexes, shouldn't these change to something more brown as we move into the steppe?  Hm.  I've considered it ... and done some experimentation also.  But the truth is, the discontinuity is instantly so confusing that it fails to provide the quick-look index of the existing colour scheme.  As such, it's better to remember these areas are open prairie rather than try to represent that.  The hex type colours, therefore, are not representative of "trees," though it'll look like that over much of the map.  Only the wilderness hexes, that are type-8 and not designated on the map, will reflect the natural vegetation.  I don't find this the least confusing.  It's certainly less confusing than any alternative I can think of.

Okay, here's all the region I've done today, including all three sections, or six 20-mile hexes, without background:


Remember, this is two map sheets overlapping, because these three sections straddled two sheets.  Sorry about the flotsam that could have been deleted.  I missed it until after this composite image was put together, and I didn't want to do it again.

I don't know why, but the village dot for Peredmistya, west of Chertkov, has disappeared; that needs fixing.  Additionally, the type-4 village Nastasiv, should have that road going to the larger nearby Ternopol, not Zaboika.  Small bits and pieces.

This is the last of the Ruthenia sheet for awhile.  Here's a rendering of the whole sheet, just as I did for Nyatria last week:


Compare this with what this map looked like when I started this post on November 9th, three weeks ago:


See?  Stuff gets done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.