Wednesday 16 November 2022

Ruthenia-Hortobagy, south of Ungvar

It's fairly easy to do a little of this map each day, as I enjoy the process.  At this scale, I get such insight into the topographic and cultural elements that arise with each new small section of the world.  It makes me realise that a shortcoming of many people's mapmaking is that they just don't know the facets of the world as much as they ought to.  I've been studying geography all my life and I find myself astounded every day as I put these maps together.

Today's rough map.


The zero in the upper left is an error.  That should read 75.  It appears correctly with the next image ... though, by the time I'd discovered the mistake, I'd already made the map.  People who think I'm unable to admit to making mistakes should read this blog.  I make 30 mistakes a day before lunch.  It's not the mistakes that matter.  It's the refusal to fix them.

This is the northeastern boundary of modern Hungary, against the heavily populated area of Ruthenia, which includes Munkacs and Ungvar on the map.  Ruthenia has been endlessly disputed by a dozen kingdoms over the last thousand years, which has led to much of the country being devastated century after century.  Still, the land is fertile.  During the Ottoman period, Ruthenia made up the extreme eastern flank of the Hungarian bulwark that defended the rest of Europe.  Note the border forts occurring on the map:


There are six of them, from Heten to Berehy.  These are overlooking lands controlled by the Transylvanians, not the Ottomans, but as Transylvania pays tribute to the Ottomans, an Janissary force can cross the frontier to Ruthenia whenever it wants.  This, too, is a possible adventure, with the players choosing to either join local defenders or taking the opportunity to abandon the area before it's attacked by a force of 12,000.

Full disclosure: some of the rivers on this map do not correspond with the actual Earth.  It's because when I made the 20-mile map many ages ago, I made decisions then that were inaccurate, and I've decided to maintain my original somewhat.  Here and there I've made corrections to bring it more in line with the real world, but not entirely.  I've considered taking the extra time to redesign the whole area, and occasionally I may do that in the future, but with this area I've decided to leave it as it is without worrying too much.

1 comment:

  1. I do like how your maps aren't a perfect replica of earth. If a player ever did try to look up something on Google earth there's always the chance they'll be surprised.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.