Sunday 27 November 2022

Lwow County, south of Lwow

It's Sunday, so I'll take the time this morning to put together these four 20-mile hexes, or two sections:


The numbers say it's going to be chock full of people, and they're not wrong.  There were a few issues that came up, however.  I made the original background map to this in, I think, 2006.  I mislocated the three settlements on the map, all of which are still here but with their arrangement changed.  Further, I utterly screwed up the course of the upper Dniester River, so changes have been made to correct that also.  The grey river that flows into Horodek on the map above no longer does; now it goes east to where it'll connect with the river out of Stryj.  Here, I'll show you:


There it is, without the background.  The correction still isn't accurate.  The Dniester rises west of Sombor.  But, meh ... it'll do for this map.  Nice how the hills thin out as we progress away from the Carpathians, without evaporating completely.  As I've said in the past, fantasy maps tend to have sharp boundaries on all their topographic features.  That's not how topography works, however.  Features blend one into the next, and it's the blending that gives each part of the world its distinctive flavour.  Such as the above.  Heavily populated, but still with each village either being surrounded by its local valley or part of a gathering of places on a wider plane.

Wasn't too hard to work around the large "Podolian Uplands" label.  Can't decide if it's better to put labels of this size in first, or wait until the rest of the map is done.  Experimented a little last night with political region labels; I'm not happy with how it looks yet.  I think I may have to create the letters individually as their own images.

The blue numbers on the map are merely notes to define how large the river line should be, since the numbers on the background are now defunct.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.