Thursday 17 November 2022

Hortobagy & Northern Hills, from Satoraljauhely to Ozd

 

I've reached the edge of the map sheet again ... I've been straddling the break this whole time, doing content on one sheet and then skipping over to the other, duplicating hexes meanwhile.  I'll be glad when I'm not doing so, which is soon.  Thank heavens.

I did more last night and this morning, simply because I felt motivated.  And I found some interesting stuff, that I'll share.  Here's the completed version of the above:


My original plotting of Satoraljauhely and Sarospatak turned out to be inaccurate; they were about 7 miles further west.  This is the last hex of Hortobagy I have, and the last of the political entity of Transylvania.  That's a milestone for me, since I began this map in the furthest southeastern corner of Transylvania, centered on Kronstadt.  Here it is, much map later, and I'm finally done the original first province.  All of Romania is done, and I think Moldova too.

The Zemplen Mountains have steep peaks and according to Wikipedia, are platforms for many medieval stone castles ... which of course is of no interest to D&D players.   The right shows a good example, the castle at Sarospatak.  The castle and much of the history is Hungarian, but at the time of my game world, it's in Transylvanian hands.

The next section required calculation of Nyatria, which I posted on the other blog last night.  Going forward, I can record these infrastructure calculations on this blog, if the reader is interested.  Every part of the world has to be so calculated, so I can add those posts forever.  Please let me know if you're interested.

Here below is the next section, which is the last of the Northern Hills Sanjak (for a long while).  The hills have been added, along with hexes (in black) that are meant for the next map sheet over.


The Aggtelek Karst is very interesting.  The region is a collection of individual hill outcroppings rather than a sustained topography, with good access in any direction.  The land between the hills is all cultivated, according to Google Earth.   The karst, as can be seen from the link, is a collection of multiple cave complexes that have been designated a World Heritage site.  It extends northwards into Slovakia, or "Upper Hungary," as it's called in the 17th century.  It's a playground for D&D adventurers.  I wish I'd known about it earlier.  I can think of some adventures I've run that would have been better if I'd set them here.

Further, since it's the edge of Ottoman occupied Hungary, it also makes a good place for fighting a skirmish war.  Though I can't find any examples.

Here's the area after completion:


For fun, I'll throw together a general map of all that's been done since the blog was launched on November 9th.


There, that gives some perspective.  Until tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. Wow that Karst is indeed incredible. I'm going to stick my nose into as many pictures of it as I can find -- UNESCO has dozens.

    Thank you for starting this blog: the visual reminder of how rewarding mapping can be pushed me to do better for my players. I took the 6-miler for the area my players have been in all campaign -- which didn't have enough information to really tell me why and how the different groups in the area behaved -- and rigorously remade all the roads by following (a) your Roads and Travel wiki pages's algorithms for how many routes a hex should have, and (b) the presence and type of roads given in the hex generator's descriptive paragraphs.

    It made a huge difference! Forcing me to put roads into specific 2-mile subhexes where I wouldn't have before, then thinking about how they would connect to existing roads mandated by the "X routes for infrastructure Y" at the 20mile level, transformed -- no, revealed to me -- a vastly improved understanding of the hex, its inhabitants, and their relations. Thanks for the push.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I really have found that the roads are the secret.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.