Thursday 8 December 2022

Bratslaw Turned

Starting with the completion of yesterday's turning:



Looks perfectly ordinary.  If we didn't know the other version existed, we'd think this was the original.

This reaches the point where our mapmaking turns from going straight east towards south-east.  As before, I'm going to provide a picture to show the order of maps being made, so no one gets lost.  I'll make this a little prettier than last time:


The reader can see how the direction of sections changes, and how this mapping technique allows us to get quickly back into an east-west oriented section.  I grant the shift would give an honest cartographer kniptions, but I'm a dishonest cartographer, so it doesn't bother me at all.  Remember, always, the players can't tell and don't care, so long as they can get on a road to the next village and find it.

The mapping over the next couple weeks takes us through a corner of the Kiyevan state and then back into territory controlled by the Ottomans, with former provinces of the Tatar States in the 16th century.  These lands aren't as devoid of infrastructure as Bratslaw, but they are rural ... and once we're south of Kiyev, it's all steppeland.  That'll continue until we get to the Black Sea, after mapping the western Crimean peninsula.  Then it's across the sea and back around to cutting through Bulgaria.

The thing I like about this corridor mapping, where I roll in a big circle around the centre provided very early this year by Kronstadt, is that I see different things as I go.  It's not just an endless slog of mapping heavily populated parts of Europe or endlessly empty vistas of Southern Russia.  This provides enough novelty to make me keep going, day after day.

But ... not planning on adding a section today, the first I've missed since starting this blog a month ago.  I may change my mind this evening, after performing my other duties.  If I do make that map, I'll publish it.  I'll be sure to do two sections tomorrow in any case.




2 comments:

  1. Oh it does bother me. Though I can overlook it as you've taken great pains to document your methods and I understand your reasoning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You realise that all the terrible mapping that happened before the 18th century didn't stop anyone from finding their way between points A and B. And the map does look very pretty when the hexes produce the earth's curve, even when it's done wrongly ... heh heh.

      Delete

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.