Monday 26 December 2022

Kherson, the Oleshky Sands

Late, but I'm here.


This is an unlikely part of the world, though most maps give no clue to that.  To explain, allow me to include the Google Earth image of the area:


There's plenty of evidence that much of the original land surface has been steadily encroached upon with irrigation, remembering that this is a GE map from 1985.  Here's a close up, from 2300 feet elevation:


This is the Oleshky Sands, an oddly tiny area of sand dunes and cliffs, receiving next to no precipitation despite their adjacent presence to a salt marsh along the lower Dneiper river.  There are actually sandstorms.  Until a few months ago, I had no idea they existed.  It's a super-convenient adventure-scape, parked right next to a fair-sized city in Kherson.

Here's my version of the region:


I'm choosing an alternate graphic to represent the sands, so that I'm able to express both the hex type and the desert's presence at the same time.  Makes a fascinating addition to the area's personality.

2 comments:

  1. these little oddities are the biggest reason I'm enjoying the mapping blog. Watching the sausage being made is the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upstaged by the planet Earth. I feel so insignificant.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.