Wednesday 28 December 2022

Kherson, east and west

Two sections today.  Starting first on the Azov sheet, finishing the line of hexes going out east:


This copies the lake next to Agayman.  Should be obvious by now that Kherson's a pretty big province. We've been working on it for awhile now.


Adding an additional pody, like the one west of Agayman.  I continue to enjoy the smooth decline of infrastructure that occurs, with each section becoming more sparse but the transition is so subtle.  Sometimes, it's hard to imagine I came up with this process ... but then, it took me a lot of years.

This next bit is definitely more interesting.  It's the western shore of the Kherson sanjak coastline:


There's a hard discrepancy between where I originally put the coastline, and where it ended up being using GoogleEarth.  I also went harder making Kinburn spit, that thread of land projecting west, more tenuous and detailed.

Finishing the section, I felt it would look better if I suspended the background for this screen shot:


I think that better captures the delicacy of the landscape.  For the record, though my hex generator put a town in the location of "Sogul," there's absolutely no settlement of any kind there and probably never has been.  But it's within the realm of possibility that something existed there 350 years ago.  And it's a fantasy world anyway.  The name came from a random place in Turkey, so I'd have to say the population of the country town there is a hundred percent Turkic.

Past Kherson city now, the Crimean Peninsula is just to the south.  Our mapmaking will cover most of it.  Should still take us a couple of weeks to get onto the Black Sea, but there should be plenty of eye-candy as we cover those areas.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.