Friday 2 December 2022

Podolia and Ternopol, south and around Volochisk

Forgot to take a screen shot of this section before I started, so here it is mid-way done:


I'm certain most of these names, Ternopol, Kopychintsy, Podolia, etcetera, are completely alien to the reader's experience.  It helps to think of them like Saskatchewan or Kansas ... a flat, agrarian, not that important to history area, but the breadbasket of Europe nonetheless.  It helps to have the context of our having moved eastward from Slovakia and Hungary to get here.  The way is long, however ... this flatland reaches thousands of miles from here to the mountains of western China.

So, we slog forward, with virtually every map looking like it's own collection of villages and central towns serving as commercial centres for goods and such.

Here's the above, completed:


Husyatin ended up being isolated, after all.  Chertkov's cobbled road dead ends amid a collection of type-7 hexes.  It's all very banal.  Here's the next section before mapmaking:


What makes this possible to do, without going out of my mind, is the system in place.  I have the numbers and the method to tell me exactly what to do next.  From here, having assigned all the hex infrastructure numbers, I identify the section on google maps and then post it one this section.  Then I assign the boundaries, the rivers, the hills (there aren't any) and the more precise location of Volochisk.

Then I roll the hex generator and post the figures in the upper right corner of each hex.  This tells me where the villages and such are.  I go back to Google maps, plot the village and town circles, fix in the names.  Then I set about identifying the routes according to the ring of surrounding hexes.  I know from the table shown that the Volochisk hex, 92 infrastructure, has six connecting routes: 2 low roads and 4 cobbled roads.  The two low roads go to the highest adjacent hexes, with 102 infrastructure each, the remainder of the roads get directed to the other four hexes.

Then I draw roads.  I generated an extra village next to Trembowla, so I assign it a dirt road (the cobbled roads have all been taken).  With the roads for this hex done, and the other, I colour in the hexes.  Thus the section is finished:


Then I do it all over again, in the same order, over and over again, like planting a garden, or making a meal, or knitting.  Over and over, until the blanket drapes down over my knees, or the meat and vegetables simmer and achieve the right texture, or the whole garden is in.  That's all it is.  Make a method, then stick to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. Stay on topic.